From beds to leaves to water hoses
So do your soil’s nutrient needs.
- Winter is a great time to do a soil test and make lime applications.
- Apply a winterizing fertilizer to prepare your lawn for the cold winter months ahead.
- Neaten up garden beds by pruning back perennials to down to soil level and lightly re-mulching beds.
- Be mindful to keep lawn equipment off of wet grass to avoid causing ruts, compaction, and turf injury.
- Make sure leaves are not left to accumulate on the lawn.
- After the leaves are finished falling is a great time to clean out your gutters.
- Clean garden tools and equipment of grit and grime before storing away for winter.
- Make sure to have irrigation systems “”winterized”” to avoid freeze damage.
- Be sure to disconnect, drain, and put away water hoses and hose nozzles.
- Protect outdoor spigots with insulated foam covers.
- Do maintenance on the mower – change the oil, put in a new gas line filter and sharpen the blades.